Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution concerns depositing and/or sharing specific content on a web server run by a web hosting provider. There are various forms of hosting services used for different aims, so let's have a gaze at these. Doing so, you can determine what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to build a web portal, e-mail aliases, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a solution offered by particular firms, which lets you share bulky files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole goal is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free file storage plans are frequently supported by showing ads by the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a given span of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file storage account, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly unsuitable explanation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would allocate the load between independent bunches of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different web page hosting services (email, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, web site hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is only a brand of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; specific providers provide a hosting solution for pictures solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you desire to share an immense number of pics with comrades or colleagues since the solution is usually free of cost. You will receive a random link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- Email hosting: a service committed to tackling your email aliases. Some distributors offer web page hosting services for websites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting service. If you wish to have a mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can open e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a specific video clip, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file brings about a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video files and several hundred website viewers, you may have difficulty with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video will permit you to operate as many videos as you desire without hassling about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to own a web site. To a certain extent, it embodies all of the aforesaid hosting categories since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and email box accounts, upload videos, and so on. At JoomlaHosting.uk.com, for example, you can take a gaze at web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that permit you to get all of the aforementioned services in one place. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for particular web content exclusively.